Anonymous

I am going insane, what do I do?

I work night shifts and I am afraid to get fired but I feel like I need to take absence. I have been suffering with insomnia these past couple of nights and I am only 18. I've been feeling horrific and my mom will not listen to me she will just argue and argue and argue. Last night at work I was feeling dizzy and like I was about to faint. I only slept for 6 hours today and this is the first sleep i've had in days. I feel horrible enough to put myself in the hospital. But is it appropriate for me to email my boss about what's going on and request a few days off to check myself into a hospital?

Favorite Answer

Quit your job and move to Hawaii permanently

You are not going insane and don’t need to go to the hospital for insomnia. Try melatonin and look for a day job.

• Eva

There's no reason to go to the hospital for a couple of nights of insomnia. Re-evaluate your sleep routine and put down the screens at least 2 hours before bed. Try taking melatonin.

Talk to your boss about your health issues. You can try going on disability if you're full time and not a brand new employee.

Try getting 2-3 hrs sleep then going to a physically demanding job.I had insomnia for 2 weeks, during that time I got 5 hrs sleep total.

See your doctor, they can give you something to help you sleep that's not habit forming if natural remedies aren't working for you. Insomnia can be caused by other things like anxiety.

Since you work the night shift and are free during the day, go to your doctor and discuss the situation. Short term, it may be possible to get a prescription for medicine that will help you sleep and cost less than a hospital. Longer term, weekly counseling sessions with a psychologist or psychiatric could be more useful than a one-time hospital stay.

If you are indeed that sick you need to tell someone they should call an ambulance to transport you to the ER and if it's nothing but lack of sleep they will release you, if it's major, they will admit you, there will be your excuse from work. Learn about OTC benadryl or sleep aids that can help you get to sleep.

• Kyle

tell your boss working night shifts is affecting your health. there are other jobs out there. and if worse comes to it and they fire you, there's nothing you can do about it, as almost every employer is an at will employment. where they can let people go for no reason at all, and in turn, the employee can leave for no reason at all. but your health should be more important. maybe talk to your HR department if there is one too. see what they say.

Go to bed earlier than you figure you need. You can change your internal clock.

• Kyle

not everyone can change their internal clock.

Call your boss and ask them