Men, why would you still want to be friends with a woman if you don’t want to commit to her?

Basically I was close friends with this guy for 7 months. He seemed interested and showed all the signs of interest. We ended up confessing our feelings for one another but he said he wasn’t ready for a relationship because he’s no good for me right now, there’s girls around, and will break my heart...but he still... show more Basically I was close friends with this guy for 7 months. He seemed interested and showed all the signs of interest. We ended up confessing our feelings for one another but he said he wasn’t ready for a relationship because he’s no good for me right now, there’s girls around, and will break my heart...but he still wanted to be friends. I tried being friends with him but it hurt too much and I refused to continue being confused because he would still flirt with me and lead me on...so I decided to cut him off. Now he keeps texting me and begging me to be friends with him and talk to him because he misses me so much...which I really don’t understand, what do I have that you want? He has even said, “I love you for always listening.” He asked me to forgive him and he also apologized. I don’t understand why he just won’t let me go, he obviously doesn’t like me enough to be in a relationship with me. I told him I need time to think about it (but I’m probably not going to continue a friendship with him). Why is he doing all of this for just a friendship? What should I do? P.S: we’ve never been physical with one another...never had sex, kissed etc.