Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 months ago

I went to church today and was told I had to ‘repent’ in order to receive God’s grace, basically. I thought that was the whole point of?

Jesus’ crucifixion. That he was without sin but ‘became sin’ for us and suffered and died in that brutal manner so that we would then become sinless and worthy of acceptance in his father’s kingdom. So what am I missing here? Why am I now told that there are ‘additional requirements’ for me to have this relationship with his father? Involving repentance? I thought Christ paid for that? I don’t understand?? And I DON’T want to hear from the ‘God trashers’ telling me that it’s all ‘a fairytale’. You can preach that ‘to the choir’, I’m not a member of the choir. I’d like to hear from people who really understand these things and seek salvation, Who have dealt with this issue of ‘repentance’ that I’m befuddled by now, and resolved it and moved past it. Thanks

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

Repentance is and always has been an essential step to salvation. I suggest you look it up on like Biblegateway.com. Jesus' offer is to enable you to become a clean vessel worthy of salvation. If you don't first repent, you won't really be aiming at that, and won't be a clean vessel to receive the Holy Spirit which is eternal life. Repentance is also how you come to recognize that you need a savior.

Unfortunately many churches and preachers are failing to teach the importance of repentance. That is on them and I'm sorry they did you wrong, but you can still seek it now.

Realize that repentance is complicated by the fact that it is both a choice and totally dependent on God enabling you to see enough to want to choose a better way. My dad had to pray for repentance for like a year when he got it intellectually but not at heart level.

For more on what repentance is and isn't, see the article found at https://churchofthereformation.wordpress.com/2010/...

• 7 months ago

I am not a christian but it seems that salvation to them is about understanding sin exists, that man alone cannot overcome sin because it is inherent in our nature, that there is a penalty (from God) for sin that no human can avoid unless God gracefully waves that penalty, which is done through believing that His Son was a sacrifice, understanding you are not worthy, and humbly apologizing (repenting) for being born the sinful heathen that you are. It's hard not to laugh while writing this, but some of it makes a little sense. If you do something wrong, there is an expectation of apologizing/repenting as a sign that you are truly sorry and understand you are in the wrong.

• 7 months ago

It is true that Jesus gave his life on behalf of mankind. When Adam/Eve sinned, they lost perfect life for mankind, therefore all of their offspring were/are born imperfect . Because we are imperfect and fall short of God's glory, we need the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ to have a righteous standing before God. However, it isn't a given, we have to repent of our sins, the same way the first century Christians had to, and we have to live our lives in harmony with God's will and purpose to the best of our ability. We can't go on purposely sinning and have God's favor.

Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,"

Acts 26:20 "but to those in Damascus first and then to those in Jerusalem, and over all the country of Ju·deʹa, and also to the nations, I was bringing the message that they should repent and turn to God by doing works that befit repentance."

Luke 15:7

I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over 99 righteous ones who have no need of repentance.

Matthew 3:2

saying: “Repent, for the Kingdom of the heavens has drawn near.”

Matthew 3:8

Therefore, produce fruit that befits repentance.

Luke 5:32

I have come to call, not righteous people, but sinners to repentance.”

Luke 13:3

No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise be destroyed.

Luke 13:5

No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all be destroyed, as they were.”

Source(s): NWT 2013 jw.org
  • 7 months ago

Jesus own words answers your question, Luke 13:3, John 8::24, Matthew 10:32, Mark 16:16.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

John the baptist came preaching "Repent, for the kingdom of God......." God repented for creating the earth because it had become so evil. Repenting means to be sorry for your sins, doing a 180 degree turn from them. But He will forgive you if you slip up and sin. God judges the heart! There are more people that preach garbage than will fit in Rhode Island. God sent the Holy Spirit to be OUR teacher. But many religions have screwed that up to and say it's not for today. Liars, they will be judged. Ask God to fill you with His Holy Spirit. It's a gift from God just like salvation. Just believe!

• Hogie
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Step one is recognizing the cognitive dissonance, which you now have done.

The gospel, as given in Scripture, is that good news message that our salvation is a function of faith only, in Christ and what He has done for us.

But, there are many false gospels out there, and the most common type is through addition; adding things claimed as necessary and required in order to be saved, thereby falsifying the gospel in the process.

Many churches have done this. Many false preachers and ministers have done this.

Another process resulting in a false gospel is by re-defining words, terms, and concepts from the Bible. For example, do you know what it really means to repent? Like so many other words, there are nuances of interpretation and definition. Basically, it means to "turn to God." Many deceivers re-define it to mean "turning away from sin" as a means of getting people to start keeping biblical "law" as they define it also, and then you end up with a belief system that has keeping law in order to be saved also.

Hope this helped.

• 7 months ago

Salvation is a process.... all who seek to come to God must do so in The Way He prescribes.... there are no shortcuts....... Repentance is a part of the Salvation process..... I accept YA email.... if you have some basic questions about the God stuff.... The True Church... The True Christian Faith..... Salvation..... feel free to contact me and I will do my best to try to answer them for you.....

• 7 months ago

Obey all of Jesus' sayings .

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

You may not want to hear from the fairy tale rejection section but your inquiry

is the same thing that turned me into a fairy tale rejecter selector .

Sure your spiritual quest is above rejecting Christianity as a fairy tale

but you did say you learned at church and not a credited education source .

And a Muslim who is a true believer in Iran wonders about what Ayatollah Khomeini is about .

While a Hindu in India like you can't choose between Krishna and Shiva Brahma .

Good luck with your subjective quest .

• EddieJ
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Maybe someone has put together a chart of the variety of beliefs that Christians have about the specific requirements.

It seems that it ranges from universal salvation (no one has to do or believe anything -- everyone is saved), to Calvinism, that seems to say that there is nothing you can do -- you've either have been picked or you haven't). I'm not sure why someone is picked and another person isn't, but it was decided BEFORE the universe was created.

So, the answer to your question is that there are a variety of beliefs among believers. Do you want to just accept the answer that the plurality believes? That would be the Catholic position.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.