I went to church today and was told I had to ‘repent’ in order to receive God’s grace, basically. I thought that was the whole point of?

Jesus’ crucifixion. That he was without sin but ‘became sin’ for us and suffered and died in that brutal manner so that we would then become sinless and worthy of acceptance in his father’s kingdom. So what am I missing here? Why am I now told that there are ‘additional requirements’ for me to have this... show more Jesus’ crucifixion. That he was without sin but ‘became sin’ for us and suffered and died in that brutal manner so that we would then become sinless and worthy of acceptance in his father’s kingdom. So what am I missing here? Why am I now told that there are ‘additional requirements’ for me to have this relationship with his father? Involving repentance? I thought Christ paid for that? I don’t understand?? And I DON’T want to hear from the ‘God trashers’ telling me that it’s all ‘a fairytale’. You can preach that ‘to the choir’, I’m not a member of the choir. I’d like to hear from people who really understand these things and seek salvation, Who have dealt with this issue of ‘repentance’ that I’m befuddled by now, and resolved it and moved past it. Thanks