Any advice on how to lose weight instead of gaining too much weight from gaining muscle?

My friend and I started a workout program to get in shape towards the end of last year. It is mainly just weightlifting, and it’s perfect for her because she wanted to gain weight in muscle. I started gaining weight as well, but it’s reaching a point to where some of my clothes no longer fit, such as all of my Nike... show more My friend and I started a workout program to get in shape towards the end of last year. It is mainly just weightlifting, and it’s perfect for her because she wanted to gain weight in muscle. I started gaining weight as well, but it’s reaching a point to where some of my clothes no longer fit, such as all of my Nike shorts. I don’t want to gain too much muscle. I’m not sure if I should be doing more cardio instead. I work a desk job and try to go to the gym for an hour before work. I’m short, and staying thin has never been extremely easy for me, but I do try to eat healthy as well. I’m not sure what I should be doing, or if this makes sense.