Fluent speakers of English, please, can you help me?

I am not a native speaker of English and I need to translate a historic text. I am really struggling with this paragraph, maybe someone has ideas how to make the text flow better and more natural? Thus the goal of the Soviet system to control every part of life resulted in children being left alone for extended... show more I am not a native speaker of English and I need to translate a historic text. I am really struggling with this paragraph, maybe someone has ideas how to make the text flow better and more natural?

Thus the goal of the Soviet system to control every part of life resulted in children being left alone for extended periods of time as both parents had to work full-time.
This made them assume responsibilities and become a rather independent members of society.
Due to these circumstances children felt lonely and chose to spent their time outdoors as they were looking for close bonds they lacked within the family.
The community of children from the local neighbourhood or street could devote more attention to a child than his/her working parents and provided the socialization opportunities through play. Thus in the children’s value system, it became the most important source of education that helped developed most of their skills and values.
All this had negative consequences: without adult supervision, children and adolescents learned street ways and got involved in street fights or even criminal activities and were introduced to cigarette or alcohol use.
1 answer 1