Native speakers of English, please, can you help me?

I am not a native speaker of English and I need to translate a historic text. I am really struggling with this paragraph, maybe someone has ideas how to make the text flow better and more natural? During the Soviet times, a child was seen as a would-be adult who was supposed to find a “pragmatic and useful”... show more I am not a native speaker of English and I need to translate a historic text. I am really struggling with this paragraph, maybe someone has ideas how to make the text flow better and more natural?

During the Soviet times, a child was seen as a would-be adult who was supposed to find a “pragmatic and useful” vocation that would serve the interest of the Soviet society and could choose from a variety of vocational training options.
The goal of the Soviet system to educate a new soviet man in part distanced parents and relatives from child education and gave their role over to state institutions.
This shaped a particular way parents looked at their children: they were regarded as relatively independent small adults who can be entrusted with house keys, who could be given instructions as how to use domestic appliances and how to care for younger siblings.
1 answer 1