Why is the rate of people with gender dysphoria increasing at shockingly high rates?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

Because it's become a trend to be gay, transgender, etc. Younger people are being influenced by media to become gay or transgender

• 7 months ago

It's more heard of nowadays and more support out there which most likely encourages more people to transition.Whereas before people would suppress their trans identity more often.

I notice on social media a lot of trans guys in their teens or early 20s and they talk about their transition as though it was the latest fashion, I just hope they are genuinely trans and don't end up regretting their decisions.

• 7 months ago

Considering only those actually diagnosed by competent professional percentages have been multiplied by a factor of ten or more in recent years. There are three reasons this seems more alarming than it is. 1) The percentages are very low, to begin with, so an increase by a factor of 10 or mare still does mean many more individuals. 2) The diagnosis is being made earlier in life. So people carry the diagnosis longer and young people start to count earlier. 3) There is much more public discussion than before. So the subject seems much more prevalent to people who had little awareness of it before.

There are a large number of gender-related issues and many amateurs are likely to make a mistaken diagnosis. For example, gender nonconformity is not a disorder at all, but people who do not know what they are talking about are likely to confuse it with gender dysphoria. It is also true that since gender dysphoria is getting much attention at the moment, people who wish to get more attention for themselves may apply less than strict criteria when self-diagnosing.

• 7 months ago

I guarantee the rate is exactly the same today as it was 50 years ago, 100 years ago and 1000 years ago.

However, a number of factors make the numbers look like they are growing. Social perceptions, awareness, acceptance, disappearing traditional gender roles, are some contributing factors.

Think about it. 30 years ago if someone admitted to being transsexual, they would be labeled as a pervert, mocked, rejected by family and friends. They either have to hide and be miserable or come out and be miserable. I mean, that still happens, I'm sure Ms clones can back me on that. But people are rapidly becoming more aware that a) someone who is experiencing gender dysphoria is dealing with some heavy crap anyway and need friends not bullies. B) mocking and chastising them is just making it worse and makes you a horrible person who is just being mean and bullying someone who is already struggling emotionally.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

It isn't really. The number who stop hiding it, however, is increasing.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

They watch too much TV.

• "Why is the rate of people with gender dysphoria increasing at shockingly high rates?"

This question really requires a two-part answer.

First, the primary driver of suicide among trans people is non-acceptance by friends, family and society. This intense minority stress leads to higher suicide rates. There was a recent study that said just using a trans person's preferred name and pronouns went a long way to reducing suicide in young trans people:

https://www.indy100.com/article/trans-youth-survey...

The rates are not the same for all trans people. Those at greatest risk are trans people who haven't come out yet or are newly out. Once a trans person starts treatment to affirm their inborn gender identity the suicide rate starts to drop. By the time a person has finished transition the rate is dramatically lower.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

If you mean transgender people, there are no more people today than there have ever been who have unfortunately been born with the wrong body for their mind.

It's just that in the past, they used to have to live a lie and pretend to be 'ordinary' and put up with always feeling unhappy about their physical gender.

Now, they can correct nature's mistake - which is a wonderful thing.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

publicity wh0res ..................................

• JASON
    Lv 5
    7 months ago

It's trendy

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.