Darcie
Lv 6
Darcie asked in PetsDogs · 7 months ago

Is the pug craze causing an increase in demand for pug puppies from breeders?

Hi 👋,

As an animal rights person, I would be concerned about the huge pug craze at the moment. From socks to pens and mugs, pug merchandise is huge at the moment. Many claim to love pugs.

However, pugs also have horrendous health problems (e.g breathing problems). Impulse buying of dogs 🐶 from pet shops and breeders is a big issue, with many, many, many dogs 🐶 being abandoned or put at shelters every year.

There are millions, if not billions, of dogs🐶, including some pugs, either at shelters, rescues or otherwise homeless/unwanted, why not adopt them instead?

An animal charity shop that I went in had stopped selling ornaments of pugs and English bulldogs for fear that it might encourage breeding.

Could the pug craze, with all the merchandise and Internet and

celebrity craze, be leading to an increase in pug breeding, abandonment and health problems? What do you think?

Thank you 😊.

Best Wishes to all,

Rory.

Have the best day and night ever!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • TK
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Many claim to love dogs, but they hate the purposefully bred, well bred dogs and instead want all dogs to be conceived on the street and birthed in the garage. If you really love dogs, you want better for them.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Hi I’m not an animal rights activist and I don’t care

Lv 7
    7 months ago

The "pug craze" in popular culture has been occurring since the 1986 childrens' movie, "Milo and Otis". It's not new, and while it ebbs and flows, it hasn't appreciably increased recently. The health issues within the Pug are no more "horrendous" than many other popular breeds, like the Golden Retriever with a high rate of hip dysplasia (95% are affected to some degree) and a high rate of fatal cancers (over 60% and climbing). Just because the Pug's appearance is extreme, people focus on them, but that doesn't make the problems they have worse than many other breeds. Personally, I'd rather have a dog with breathing difficulties (which are minor in many individuals and are greatly alleviated with a minor surgical procedure) than a dog with hip dysplasia that dies early and painfully of cancer.

My parents owned a Pug for many years. He lived to 22 years old and accompanied the horses on hours-long trail rides until he went blind late in his life, with no difficulties. He was an extraordinarily healthy and happy little dog that occasionally wheezed when his airway was irritated, which seemed to cause him no significant distress.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.