Is the pug craze causing an increase in demand for pug puppies from breeders?

Hi ๐Ÿ‘‹, As an animal rights person, I would be concerned about the huge pug craze at the moment. From socks to pens and mugs, pug merchandise is huge at the moment. Many claim to love pugs. However, pugs also have horrendous health problems (e.g breathing problems). Impulse buying of dogs ๐Ÿถ from pet shops and... show more Hi ๐Ÿ‘‹,
As an animal rights person, I would be concerned about the huge pug craze at the moment. From socks to pens and mugs, pug merchandise is huge at the moment. Many claim to love pugs.
However, pugs also have horrendous health problems (e.g breathing problems). Impulse buying of dogs ๐Ÿถ from pet shops and breeders is a big issue, with many, many, many dogs ๐Ÿถ being abandoned or put at shelters every year.
There are millions, if not billions, of dogs๐Ÿถ, including some pugs, either at shelters, rescues or otherwise homeless/unwanted, why not adopt them instead?
An animal charity shop that I went in had stopped selling ornaments of pugs and English bulldogs for fear that it might encourage breeding.
Could the pug craze, with all the merchandise and Internet and
celebrity craze, be leading to an increase in pug breeding, abandonment and health problems? What do you think?
Thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š.
Best Wishes to all,
Rory.
Have the best day and night ever!