My grandparents never turns on the central a.c. anymore, Why?

They keep claiming that it is causing them a huge electric bill. We have prudential home cooling, our fan in the back of the house had just recently been replaced probably you might say 2007? Our house absent of the central a.c. being on is 81 degrees and very humid and muggy. The house we live in is bricked and... show more They keep claiming that it is causing them a huge electric bill. We have prudential home cooling, our fan in the back of the house had just recently been replaced probably you might say 2007?

Our house absent of the central a.c. being on is 81 degrees and very humid and muggy. The house we live in is bricked and insulated and makes it worse. We live in a swamp area.

I resorted to running a 8,000btu window unit in my bedroom under energy star mode, and since our house is 1074sqft it don't turn off due to it not being able to cool the whole house.

Anyway what can I do?