If a teenager is shocked that his friend’s mother didn’t hit him for something NOT his (the mom’s son’s) fault, is the teen’s mom abusive?

I am 16 years old. While my two high school friends and I (one of whom is morbidly obese) were using my mother’s computer, the backrest of her chair snapped off the seat, since my obese friend was the one sitting on the chair. So I called my mother at her job to let her know what happened. She was upset, but not... show more I am 16 years old. While my two high school friends and I (one of whom is morbidly obese) were using my mother’s computer, the backrest of her chair snapped off the seat, since my obese friend was the one sitting on the chair. So I called my mother at her job to let her know what happened. She was upset, but not ballistic, and said it’s okay. When I got off the phone, I told my friends not to worry and that everything’s cool. So the other friend said in a state of shock, “What?! You mean you’re not getting a whooping?!” It was at that moment he totally lost me, but then it became apparent that he and I were polar opposites regarding our mothers’ tactics on child-rearing. But from the way my friend reacted, you’d have thought his mom hit him with the belt just for breathing. Was she very abusive to him?

I can understand if he reacted that way if it was ME who broke the chair, which still sounds totally out of wack, because it was an accident. So something more realistic such as not getting hit with the belt for telling my mother “F*ck you, b*tch!” is something my friend has every right to be shocked about. But shocked that I didn’t get hit for something our obese friend did? Sounds like CPS should’ve taken him away from his mother.
Update: Please be serious with your responses, as I do not appreciate the first reply from “swag.” :-( Thank you very much.