Which career field has a better chance of success and in-demand with job opportunities, a Lawyer or a Speech-Language Pathologist?

I have narrowed my career decisions down to becoming a Lawyer or a Speech-Language Pathologist. I have a genuine interest in both fields, but I would love to hear everyone else's opinion on which may have a better outcome (especially those who has experienced taking one of the paths or knows someone who has).

Which of the two careers has a better job outlook after graduation? Also, which career is worth the student loan debt? While I am not looking to make a fortune, being self-sufficient and having the ability to begin paying on my student loans is important to me. I often hear that the Legal field has tons of new grads who cannot find jobs. I will be shadowing a Speech Pathologist next month and will make my decision based on that. Would I have a better chance as a Speech Language Pathologist than a Lawyer, as they seem to be more in-demand?

Favorite Answer

Lawyers have been a glut on the market at least since the 1970s. Now you need to be a Top 10 grad (not top 10%, top 10) of a highly respected & heavily recruited law school to have realistic chances of a good job offer by graduation/passing bar. Half of paralegal jobs (which does not require a university degree, although it's expected along with 2-year ABA-approved paralegal program) now go to law school grads.

A friend is a Superstar. Top 10 students at his school got job offers by graduation (pending passing bar exams). Those in the top quarter of the graduating class managed to find something within a year after passing bar exams, some of them as volunteers at legal clinics, law clerks (law student job), or paralegals. Friend has gone from strength to strength, and just got headhunted for a fabulous job and he still has less than 5 years experience.

In other words, be a Superstar grad, and pass your state & federal bar exams your first go, or rotsa ruck.

Speech Pathologist has less competition. No chance of Superstar law salaries, but a decent living and a bit more job security.

• John

At this time, and for the foreseeable future, the job market for lawyers is very bad.

• Lili

Go for speech pathologist. We have too many lawyers as it is.

• juliet

Anything related to health will always have a higher demand

The Lawyer field is way over populated. Depending upon your desires, the latter would have better prospects.