How many days do they have to give you before towing your vehicle in Washington state?

I live in a apartment complex where I currently pay for private parking in front of my building. My tags are expired but it’s not in public property, they gave me a 72 hour notice but it’s not enough to get my car running again. What can I do? Are they wrong for doing it or?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Their property, their rules. They are not wrong, they expect it will be abandoned and don't want junk vehicles sitting around.

• 6 months ago

They don't have to give you any notice. Your car's tags are expired. That's illegal. Having it promptly towed is the usual course. Be grateful that you were given the notice that you were given. You can look at it this way: It will be towed away for you, but probably not to your location of choice.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • 6 months ago

They don't have to give you any notice. Consider yourself luck they did give you 72 hours.

You now have a couple of choices, ask a towing company to take it to the shop to work on it, and/or get a ride to the DMV and get your registration up to date.

• 6 months ago

If your tags are expired, they didn't need to provide you any notice.

Do you need some kind of inspection and that is why you need the car running to get your tags renewed?

If that is the case, pay to have your tags renewed as non-operable. You will need to get this changed even if you plan to test drive the car while it is being repaired but it solves your immediate problem.

If you don't need an inspection, simply renew your tags.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

get your car towed to someplace it can be fixed. if 3 days is the requirement for cure or quit notices, you get 3 days. i am guessing this problem existed long before you got notice. and there is probably a rule that cars must stored in non running condition and must be legally registered.

you are wrong for letting it get to this point.

• 6 months ago

You get it off their property, one way or another. If you can't drive it, then you get a tow truck and have it taken to somewhere that non-working cars with expired plates are allowed. They aren't allowed in the apartment building parking lot.

• 6 months ago

When you say "they" I assume you are talking about your landlord (whom you pay to park there). The only way to answer this question is to read the contract you have with "them" to identify both the violation and penalty. But generally speaking they don't have to give you any notice if the car isn't functional because a non-functional car likely isn't allowed on the property in the first place.

What can you do? Talk to the landlord/property management about how much time you do need and why. Maybe they have something in mind that will allow you more time.

• ?
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You have to tow your car to a repair lot. You have 72 hours from that time, they will have it on a log and come back for it.

• Never
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

They don't have to give you any time so 72 hours is just a courtesy. You could ask them for more. They don't have to give it to you but might.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Tell them you are severely mentally retarded and don't understand. They will have to give you an exemption.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.