Strict parents at 16 years old?

My parents have always been more strict with me than my brother who is only a year older. Even at 16 I'm still not allowed to stay the night at a friends house nor allowed to walk to my job which is only 10 minutes away. Mind you my job is at a family owned diner where I waitress and only for part time because that's all my parents will allow. My brother gets to stay at friends house on occasion and has a later curfew. At 14 he was allowed to ride his bike around the neighborhood but my parents never let me. When I asked why my dad said it's because i'm a girl which is not a real reason. I get decent grades in school and stay out of trouble, I get so bored being at home and wish my parents could be more lenient. I am mature! Not much is going to change from now until I turn 18 except I will be an legal adult then and can do what I want, like why do they have to be so strict??

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

I'm an 18 year old girl so allow me to shed some light on the situation.

I was in the same boat as you. I have 4 brothers and they were always allowed to do more than me. They told me it's because I'm a girl and I didn't think that was a good answer but as I get older, I will do the same to my daughter one day.

Girls are not safe. Especially young girls. Kidnappings and rapes happen everyday. This is reality. They are trying to protect you. No way in hell would I let you walk by yourself to work. I don't care where you live. By the way, part time is perfect for your age. You don't need more because school is priority.

Now I will say that the whole sleepover thing is a little much but there could have also been something that happened to your mother at a sleepover that she is trying to protect you from.

Also, not to be rude but the way you are handling this does not show maturity and if you are not mature, they will not trust you. Anybody who thinks they can "do whatever they want" when they turn 18 is just silly. You live under their roof and you follow their rules. They will lighten up on some things but if something is not allowed in the house, that will not change.

You don't have to believe it. You can think it's dumb. You can curse them up and down but one day when or if you have kids of your own you will understand.

Be thankful. Be thankful your parents care enough about your well being to keep you safe. Many are not so lucky. Many have parents who don't give one care in the world about what happens to them. Your parents love you and they are just trying to keep you safe. Be thankful.

An option you could discuss with them is some compromises. Have an honest and calm discussion with them about how you feel. Do not yell. Do not demand. Find some compromises such as maybe you could invite friends over for a sleepover. You can also ask your parents for some letting up in going out. You can come up with compromises such as no going out later than the decided time, you have to text when you get there, etc.

You are not in control. They are so if they say no, just suck it up until you can pay for yourself to move out which is years away.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Mine were and are the same, pathetic, my brother got to do whatever he wanted pretty much, parents are as*holes.

• 6 months agoReport

Stfu morons.

• 6 months ago

Girl 16 runs the risk of getting raped, assaulted, etc., more so than a boy.

• 6 months ago

You're still a minor and they are just looking out for you

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Maybe you can have a friend to your house overnight?

Some parents are very protective of their daughters

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

"my dad said it's because i'm a girl which is not a real reason."

You probably don't want to hear this, but of course it's a real reason! I read every day about teen girls or women going missing. I can't remember the last time I read about a boy or man.

With that said, I do think it's a little odd you can't go to sleepovers, but you aren't handling it right. Do not compare with your bro or whine about how unfair it is. I'm sure you did this when you were 10, and it just annoys parents. Instead, have a more mature convo about it where you ask what it will take to make this happen? If your parents don't know theirs, this is a legit concern, because good parents don't want their kids spending the night with strangers. So think about ideas to change that. What if you suggested a barbecue at your place where you'd invite a couple close friends and their parents? You'd offer to help mom organize it. Would that help?

Finally, never say (esp to parents) that you can do what you want at 18. For almost all of us, nothing changes on that day, because we still live at home and rely on our parents for a roof over our head, food and all sorts of things. You get to do what you want when you're fully independent and paying your own way, which I'm will be several years away!

• Katie6 months agoReport

Don't let the two people who thumbed this down deter you from reading this. This is 100% correct

• 6 months ago

if you have a job you rnight be able to get ernancipated

• Edna
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

She's only 16; no court in the land will emancipate her. She's not old enough to get a job that would pay enough for her to live independently & pay for her food, clothing & medical; she still to attend school; & she can't rent an apartment because she's not old enough to sign a lease.

• 6 months ago

correction, while you live under their roof, you have to follow their rules....so if you want freedom at 18, be prepared to move out

• M
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Yea it's tough knowing what's right. You need to let them know how this is hurting you. Some boundaries are a good idea. Explain to them how the new boundaries would work you'll call or text when your leaving. You can convince them how much this is bothering you, they'll get it.

• 6 months ago

Male and female aren’t the same, and there is no reason why anyone should pretend they are.

If you get pregnant, you’re not going to say, “Oh that’s fine, I won’t expect any more help in my special condition, than would a male expect for his pregnancy, which is none?”

Would you?

You’re not going to say that, are you?

Neither is there anything wrong with your parents being more strict with you.

Reality exists.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.