Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 7 months ago

Should teenagers have a bedtime or just go to bed when they’re tired?

I’m 14 and I feel like I’m the only one of my friends who still has a bed time. My parents always say that I need to be in bed with the lights out by 9 (weekends and weekdays...doesn’t matter). I have younger siblings so I get that they don’t want me making noise and keeping up my siblings, but I feel like having a bedtime isn’t necessary (especially since it’s summer break now). How do other parents feel about this? I’m not trying to change my parents minds or anything, but I’m just wondering if having a bedtime at my age is the norm or if it’s weird.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

You need a bedtime. As a teen, you need more sleep.

• 7 months ago

no they shouldn't

• 7 months ago

My daughter never had a set bedtime, I always left it open to her. She‘s 15 now and usually gies to bes between 1030 and 1130 pm on school days... sometimes later when shes with friends. And on weekends or during holidays she‘s often out the entire night and sleeps during the day.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

I don't know what state you're in or what school you attend, but it's WAY TOO EARLY for you to be on summer break yet. Schools where I live don't end for the summer until the middle of next month. In New England, where I was born, they don't end until the third week of June.

And yes, you still need a curfew and a bedtime, even in the summer. Teenagers need a lot of sleep to be healthy and support their growth. Your parents are being smart to keep you on a set schedule, because it will make the transition back to the school routine easier when the summer is over. School is about preparation for life. When you get older, you'll be expected to work all day, every day. You need to start learning how to prepare for that now.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

I was a reasonable parent when raising my children. I saw no point in sending them to bed at 9pm. After all, if they need 8 hours of sleep a night, the last thing I want is them waking up early in the morning and disrupting MY morning time sleep. Because, if one gets 8 hours of sleep and goes to bed at 9pm, then 5am is their wake up time. That's nuts. Even if they sleep 10 hours a night, waking at 7am on a weekend or school breaks is too early if there is no good reason for them go get out of bed.

There were times that I was done parenting in a day and wanted time to spend with my spouse, without children around. Those were the times I sent my children to their rooms and they could stay awake as long as they did not disturb me. If they obeyed the rules, they got what they wanted and, as parents, we got what we wanted. It is all about compromise, in my opinion.

• 7 months ago

I still had a bedtime when I was your age. I think it was later than 9 PM, but I definitely was not allowed to just go to bed when I was tired.

• 7 months ago

You NEED sleep so a parent needs to set a bed time no matter how you feel

No chil should be allowed to set thier own bed time since if it was up to them, they would be up all night on the computer, TV or cell phone

• audrey
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

A little strange for non school nights.

• d j
    Lv 5
    7 months ago

It is beneficial in the long run.

Means you will not regret it ever.

• 7 months ago

so what are you doing all summer? I had a job at 14, was responsible to get myself up on time and get to work.

at 14, parents should be considering the feelings of the child to determine what is appropriate for that child...9 is early for most middle/high school age kids...unless they have to be up by 5am to go to school/work.

some kids your age still need 10 hours sleep

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.