Is it legal to take a cat in as a pet that I found outside?

I live in Florida. There’s a cat that roams around my apartment complex that seems to grown fond of me. He’s always following me around and notices when I walk by, if I sit down he’ll voluntarily hop into my lap and want attention, scratches and will fall asleep. Tonight he followed me into my apartment. I didn’t... show more I live in Florida. There’s a cat that roams around my apartment complex that seems to grown fond of me. He’s always following me around and notices when I walk by, if I sit down he’ll voluntarily hop into my lap and want attention, scratches and will fall asleep. Tonight he followed me into my apartment. I didn’t lure him in, he just followed behind me. FYI: I’ve never given him food, he’s just always naturally walked by my side or came up to me, and he seems scared away when others walk by. He’s pretty healthy, seems well fed. But I’ve never seen his owner. I always see him hang out with a bunch of other cats on a set of stairs. I’ve really grown attached to him! And wish I could take him in as my own. I’m scared one day he’ll get hit by a car because a lot of cats here do. But I can’t tell if he’s someone else’s. I know a lady feeds all the roaming cats food outside in a bowl everyday.
10 answers 10