Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 6 months ago

Is it safe to be using a laptop and wired headphones during a lightning storm?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Dick
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Best Answer

Yes, but only totally safe if you are on your battery and wifi. No cable connections whatsoever to the outside world.

• 6 months ago

Problems with the power to your computer can translate into damage ... It's designed to allow my laptops - which by definition have their own "battery ..... They are not good during a strike, as I found out a few years ago. ... Defeating the safety ground by using a three-to-two-prong adapter is not a good idea.

• 6 months ago

That's not what I would do.

• 6 months ago

Yes, just don't do it under a large tree.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

OK as long as your outlet is plugged into a surge protector that is rated for lightning. And your house is properly grounded! Test with receptacle tester like Sperry Instruments GFI6302 GFCI or other tester to ensure ground is correct. Without a ground you should unplug laptop (and other sensitive equipment).

Or unplug (nothing plugged in) and use the battery.

Headphones are fine if you do the above.

• 6 months ago

perfectly safe unless you're connected to a socket

• Kenny
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Be sure nothing is plugged into a wall outlet .

• 6 months ago

Is this plugged into the AC adapter for wall power? Unsafe (maybe). On battery? Safe (maybe, with no indication of conditions, wetness area).

Source(s): Not many T-storms here, so not worried, but I have UPS units and filtered extensions between wall and electronics.
  • VP
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Sure. Assuming you're inside doing this.

• 6 months ago

Well, it’s not unsafe.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.