Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 7 months ago

is there any way to get a 357 magnum to generate 1K in foot pounds of energy in a 4 inch barrel?

if so, what powder type, charge, and bullet weights?

gun would be a ruger GP100. i know the ruger redhawk 357 would be better for something like this.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

That would be difficult to achieve without blowing the gun up.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

Only if you want to blow your hand off!

• 7 months ago

Nope. Wont work at all in the parameters you've stated.

You need a bigger bullet or a longer barrel to even come close.

Not to mention a GP100 (or any other revolver regardless of manufacturer) will probably be destroyed in the process.

• 7 months ago

Foot pounds are dangerous and need banning.

No, not safely. End of discussion.

If you're interested in handloading, get a reloading manual and read it...twice.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Adam D
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

I wouldn't do that to my GP-100.

Buffalo Bore gets pretty close with their numbers out of a 6" barrel, so it may be possible to hand load something that might not blow up your gun, probably.

Is doing such a load safe, should you? I'm not your mamma, it's not my job to keep you from killing yourself. Is there any practical reason to do so? Not that I can think of, you'll probably lose a bunch of accuracy - bigger and faster isn't always better.

• BBean
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Maybe there is a way but many lack the skill and means to do such a moot adventure. The movie Quigley Down Under with Tom Selleck was basically the same as your question. From a .45-70 Shiloh Sharps to a special .45-110 with 540 grain bullet. Maybe you can (dream) .357 in a 4 inch case. After all, most of the time .357 Magnum doesn`t normally list the case length when describing the cartridge (example; .357x33mm). If you try to overload to get that kind energy out of a standard sized .357 Magnum with faster powder you may meet your maker... or the lesser... have no hand to shake St. Peter at the gate. Anyone giving you a powder number or aid is not doing you any favor and is irresponsible.

• 7 months ago

I can't see this happening at all, look at the nominal ballistics:

http://www.ballistics101.com/357_magnum.php

• 7 months ago

LMAO! You're going to die of stupidity if you actually try this. Please have someone record it so others can learn from your idiocy.

• L.N.
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Not out of any currently manufactured handgun. That's double the average energy of factory ammunition. Maybe with a specially made single shot hand cannon. Pack it full of the fastest powder you can find for the short barrel and pray that it holds.

• 7 months ago

Well?.........please video it of you try it.

• Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

It’s nice. A semi ocean front. Last year, we had obnoxious people next to us. This week, whoever is staying there seems pretty decent. We met them when we were unloaded

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.