Is it wrong to recreate someone else's art and then sell it?

I am not good at creating my own original artwork, but I find myself able to recreate other painting that I see online really well and was wondering if it was illegal for me to sell the art without the consent of the original artist? Even if I give credit to them?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

If the artist is long dead, over 70 years, such as Caravaggio, then his paintings are out of copyright so you can make copies. But all the same you must make it clear that they are copies and not originals and that is allowed to make copies as they are not forgeries.

For a living artist there are copyright problems and it would be illegal to sell copies.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Under US copyright laws, the "date of death" of the owner would only apply to works published after 1968 and to unpublished works, when calculating the copyright duration.

• 4 months ago

Most Zombie Formalism looks pretty much the same in person as it does on iPhone and Instagram. Lacks complexity, structural presence, no surprises, and no unique visual or originality. It’s made for trade. Almost everyone who paints as this has come through art school. You can feel their teacher's views formed in the '60s and the knowledge passed is one of aesthetic monoculture. Read more at https://www.virtosuart.com/blog/zombie-formalism-i...

• Cousin
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

You are the first person to think of that. But I would bet that they'd make it illegal if you did.

• 7 months ago

It’s called art stealing at that point especially if the artist is still alive. Even if you credit the artist it is illegal due to copyright and can really hurt the original artist. It makes people feel very upset that you stole their art and are trying to make a profit off of something you didn’t create yourself. If you take inspiration your art has to be different from the original but many people think they are taking inspiration when they are really copying or tracing. If I were you I would stick to your own skills and create your own art rather than copying and trying to make money off of someone else’s hard work and creativity. Now if the artist is long dead and outside of copyright then I think it’s ok as long as you explicitly say it’s a recreation. Do some research on copyright for more info.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • You have to be careful of copyright infringement, trademarked material. Bob Ross encouraged those painting along with him to make what you painted your own by making changes to what he was doing. I only make copies of other paintings that I like for myself and family which I just give as gifts.

• 7 months ago

Yes. It isn't fair to the artist if you are recreating it..inspiration is different

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Absolutely illegal, even if you credit the artist.

• 7 months ago

Simply change your name to something like "Vincent van Gogh" or "Salvador Dali" and the law won't be able to touch you. Hope this helped.

• 7 months ago

If you recreate it then it will be slightly different and is your work inspired by another

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.