Amber
Lv 4
Amber asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 7 months ago

How do you choose books?

Update:

I always seem to pick bad ones that I hate. So how you all of you pick your reading material?

Thanks.

110 Answers

Relevance
  • chorle
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

I usually go by what is on CD at my local library, what is reposted in SFF Audio podcast, what is currently being podcasted by authors who were on podiobooks, or recommendations of friends, family, or talked about in recorded Science Fiction panels. Some times hearing the author on a podcast with someone hosting that share similar taste in that genre and why the son who lives at home convinced me to buy all trade collections of The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl after me hearing a Ryan North interview.

I have chosen a great deal of the series my sons read growing up because at least one of the series was in library on CD so I could listen to it in the car and have an idea if they might like the deadtree version of the book;

• 7 months ago

By watching movies

• 7 months ago

well usually by extending my arm and hand. Than I close my finger around the book and pull back.

• 7 months ago

I read a huge amount - history, historical fiction, social science, popular novels, even cooking or pet mystereys when I need something light... Also art, craft, cooking, how to - whatever strikes my fancy...

I read so much I can't afford to buy books retail, which these days is no problem because books are so devalued they are now often free.

I pick my books ... Based on leafing through them, reading the book blurb on the back, being familiar with the author, the genre or one of the reviewers. For cookbooks I read through a couple recipes and look at the index. For art books I leaf through them.

I have no problem rejecting books if they seem poorly written or boring, if they have editing errors, if I just don't like it or it doesn't grab me.

I also have no problem deciding not to read or not to finish a book, although I don't do that very often because I know my tastes.

Try reading a bit here and there or reading the first couple pages to see if it grabs you.

• 7 months agoReport

JEWS MUST REMEMBER MY PROMISE, TILL THE DAY YOU DIE, BEING HUNTED DOWN LIKE ALIEN MOVIE, SKINNED ALIVE AS THE MEAN OF TERROR AND CRUELTY, CARVED UPON DEATH.

IF NOT THE THINKER MAKE SURE YOU DIE AGAIN
      https://warcraftking.tumblr.com/post/184575623349/promise-of-mohd-the-end-of-jews-promised-by

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

I don't read books. I read them online, downloaded legally and for free.

• 7 months agoReport

JEWS MUST REMEMBER MY PROMISE, TILL THE DAY YOU DIE, BEING HUNTED DOWN LIKE ALIEN MOVIE, SKINNED ALIVE AS THE MEAN OF TERROR AND CRUELTY, CARVED UPON DEATH.

https://warcraftking.tumblr.com/post/184575623349/promise-of-mohd-the-end-of-jews-promised-by

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Goodreads.

• 7 months ago

history

• 7 months ago

I just pick Stephen King books.

• 7 months agoReport

• JJ
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

I don't do a lot of reading, I go on Amazon. chose from the best sellers.

• JJ
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Thank you Mr. H.

• 7 months ago

I will pick whatever sounds interesting by the title and then read what the book is about in the inside front cover.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.