do more people die from drugs or cancer?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

I think it’s close. All I know is that with all the medical technology we have in this country, all the prescription drugs of all kinds: psych drugs, opioid painkillers, cancer drugs and other ‘medications’ that are on the market, all the vaccines we force our kids to get which is increasing every year...,with all of that we still manage to be one of the sickest countries in the world. What can you conclude from that?

• Pippin
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

What we conclude from that is that we don't have universal access to health care (unlike almost every other developed country) so many people do without the health care (including the medications) they need.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Cancer.

• LAN
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

The term cancer is an umbrella term for over 200 types of cancer. So cancer has more deaths accredited to it than drug related deaths.

• Pippin
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

In the U.S. there are about 600,000 cancer deaths per year. World-wide -- about 10 million, according to the WHO.

Drug overdose deaths in the U.S. -- about 60,000-70,000, with declines starting to be seen after a couple of decades of increases. If you include other 'medication related' deaths (allergic reactions, interactions, etc.) and non-OD deaths related to illicit drug use (i.e. a heart attack due to meth or coke) it would be a bit higher, but still FAR below the number of cancer deaths.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Definitely drugs.

• lala
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Cancer by a large number

• 7 months ago

probably both

Lv 7
    7 months ago

More than 63,600 lives were lost to drug overdose in 2016, so that's more than some cancers, but not more than all of them combined.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Drugs, by a large margin.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.