is universe finite or infinite? i want some legit reference and arguments.?

The Universe is definatley Infinite

I there was some kind of limit, there would be a Border Patrol, no doubt

A finite universe would have a set boundary. You instantly go the distance of what we see, you will just see more universe.

The universe is infinite.

Think of Ockham's Razor, what is more likely:

- A finite universe?

- An infinite universe?

By this simple ruling I come to the conclusion that finite is less likely, because we humans have a perception that beneath or behind something must always be something else. Like in math, it never stops. That probably also applies for the universe. I cannot believe the universe suddenly stops somewhere. And if it does, I ask: what's behind the barrier of the 'edge' of space? Hence Ockham's Razor tells me it's more likely to be infinite. If we can except infinity in mathematic why not for the Universe?

• hoarseman

Frankly -- I don't find it easier to comprehend infinity over finite. That said , ,I think most cosmologists ,probably believe in our universe simply being one of a multitude of pocket universes. Which, simply, delays confronting the issue of course.

All we know is that it is very big

It is unknown because we can only see as far as light has had time to reach us.

Many scientists think it is finite but unbounded. It might be the 3 dimensional surface of a 4 dimensional hypersphere. If you go far enough in a straight line, you will return to your starting point. There is no edge or boundary. It is unknown what the size of this type of universe would be.

This question can't be answered. Why?

Because it's a philosophy, mathematical, physics and thermodynamic related.

Firstly, thermodynamics dictates the universe should have a finite amount of energy because of the arrow of time and how time is same for everyone and entropy.

However; physics dictates time isn't constant. It can speed up, slow down and even appear to stand still (In a black-hole). So we have conflict there.

Mathematics shows the universe should be either expanding; but physics show that gravity should mean the universe should be constant or at least the rate of expansion has to be slowing down but it isn't; its accelerating if anything..

Philosophy will simply say something similar about what we mean when we say infinite.

So we don''t know for sure, this can't be tested either, well not right now anyway. We don't know much about dark energy so yeh.

• Sharon

Heinrich Wilhelm Olbers pretty much proved it cannot be infinite 200 years ago. Check out Olbers' Paradox

• daniel g

But we have learned a shitload in 200 years, most the last 50.

• neb

This has been asked so many times ...

All measurements point to the universe being infinite. The reason is that no one has detected any large scale curvature of the universe. If the universe has no curvature (intrinsically 3-d flat), then Einstein’s general relativity says that there is no upper bound to the spatial separation of points.

There is also the possibility that the universe is intrinsically flat as evidence shows, but has a multiply-connected topology such as a 3-torus. This would mean the universe would appear flat but would still be finite. There is no evidence to support the universe having a complex topology.

There is also the possibility that the universe is finite with a slight positive curvature. The universe may be so large that the curvature hasn’t been detected with our current technology. There is currently no evidence to support this.

• neb

Really wish people who have downvoted my answer would explain why. I can explain in detail why you are wrong. Apparently, you have no desire to learn.

• Lôn

The truth is...we just don't know!

Finite but unbounded is what I have heard.

• neb

There is no evidence to support a finite universe.