Will the military eventually pay a $600 medical bill I had after being told to go to the emergency room?

About 5 years ago I was in the Marine reserves, while out during an overnight training exercise, I was bit by some kind of bug. The next day it looked like an ant bite, so nothing was reported. About 3 days later my left hand swelled up beyond my comfort. I used my chain of command to await further proceedings. I... show more About 5 years ago I was in the Marine reserves, while out during an overnight training exercise, I was bit by some kind of bug. The next day it looked like an ant bite, so nothing was reported. About 3 days later my left hand swelled up beyond my comfort. I used my chain of command to await further proceedings. I was told to go to the VA. They weren't sure why I was there, because I obviously wasn't a veteran. They tell me to go to the ER since my unit didn't have a hospital. Communication was constant through my squad leader, I was told to bring in the paperwork to the unit.
So a few weeks later I get a $600+ bill in the mail, my unit then told me there was nothing they could do because I didn't consult a Corpsman... So after 30 minutes of disputing, I'm the responsible party for the medical bill. Is there anything I can do at this point? I still have all the texts from this time.