Is it legal for an employer to promote a person based on longevity when someone else is more qualified?

I was trying to get a promotion but it was given to another guy even though everyone working there said I would get it because I m much more qualified for the job. The boss said he gave it to him because he s been there longer. That doesn t seem right to me. Is it legal to promote based only on longevity? If so, what s the point of being a good employee?

26 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

Perfectly legal to choose to promote someone based on longevity and what I assume would be experience versus someone who thinks they should have been promoted because they "were more qualified".

• 7 months ago

Yes it is legal.. the Government does it all the time.. Also pay raises based on longevity.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

It's called "Seniority"

Employers promote based on that all the frkn time regardless of qualification & it's perfectly legal so if you don't feel properly appreciated at your job your free to look for another one,,Deal with it!

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

As far as I know a private sector employer can promote whoever they want for whatever reason. I was told I was going to get a permanent job once from s temp position, but then they ended up giving it to somebody else who knew somebody. Like they say, it’s not what you know its who you know

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Your OPINION about who is more qualified is one reason YOU were not promoted.

It is 100% legal for the employer to determine the DEFINITION of more qualified.

• bigfoot7 months agoReport

Our boss told me that I was more qualified and the only reason he was giving it to the other guy was he has been there longer. He actually said it three time during our meeting. Everyone who works there said I should've got it

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

their company, their decision ...............................

• Teal
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Your hire date doesn't make you a member of a protected class. This isn't discrimination and you have no legal recourse. Your choices are to either wait your turn or move on to a job with better opportunities for growth. The point of being a good employee in the meantime is to keep your job and qualify for bonuses or raises. But you have learned that there is no reward for being a great employee, so don't feel like you need to go above and beyond.

• 7 months ago

Not only is that legal but that is written into union contracts. I don't believe in it but the unions' position is that all people who pass basic tests are qualified to do any job, so the person who has been there the longest deserves it. In other words, their position is that humans are interchangeable parts which can be substituted in and out with no loss in efficiency.

• 7 months ago

Discrimination on the basis of longevity is not illegal.

• 7 months ago

Probably some remedial employment so it doesnt matter and the guy that put in more time deserves it. Ive seen both happen and its usually cause someone kissed the boss as more.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.