I have a WW2 Japanese Arisaka type 38 really good condition? for sale should I try a gun store first or will they rip me off?

Craigslist wont list it under firearms!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Gun stores will want to make at least $50 off it so they will not give you what they think they can sell it for. You can put an ad in the newspaper or list it on Guns America.

• 6 months ago

Don't expect to get what you paid for the gun back.

• 6 months ago

Selling anything to a store means you get a rip-off price. They have to then sell it as a second hand item, so no-one will pay "new" price. Then they have to include taxes in the price and cover all their business costs. Oh, and make a profit. So they will give YOU a really low price.

You will always get more selling privately.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

For safety that gun should be head spaced before being sold. At the gun store you will get half the value of the gun, they have to make a profit. But a head space check and paper will make it much easer to sell privately. And most gun stores that have a gun smith can do that for you. The cost I have no idea about I do mine my self!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Gun store or local publication. Where I live it is called a Ad Pak.

• Mr.357
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Many gun stores will not rip you off. They are in the business of making money so they have to pay wholesale prices for goods and sell them at retail, so obviously none will pay you retail for it.

• 6 months ago

It can't hurt to check with a gun store if they are willing to give a free offer. Cabelas does their nationwide "gun Library" that basically lists your gun all over the country (something important for a collectible in good condition).

https://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categoryId=1095...

You will likely get a lower price at a gun store than the market price for the gun. This is not because they are "ripping you off", but because, while you would be getting a quick sale, they have to take the risk and expend the labor and resources to market and sell the gun themselves, so they can make a profit. No different than selling a car to a dealer vs selling it directly to someone yourself.

Some dealers will sell on consignment, but generally gives you more flexibility to establish the price and the dealer will take a fee. Since this is lower risk to the dealer, they may take less of a cut.

For a gun like that, it should be listed on the widest possible listing. Armslist, gunbroker, and others. You should do some googling and see if there are statewide gun trade/buy/sell web sites in your state. Also not that selling the gun yourself you will need to investigate the local, state, and federal gun transfer laws. For example, under federal law you can't transfer a gun to someone that lives out of state (even if they come to your state to buy) without going through an FFL dealer....and that will cost you and/or the buyer a fee.

• 6 months ago

You can post it on https://www.armslist.com/

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.