weidong asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 7 months ago

What did the US do to assimilate the hords of immigrants during the nineteenth and early Part of the twentieth centuries?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • xyzzy
    Lv 7
    7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Between 1917 and 1965 immigration to the US was very restricted. While the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 had already excluded immigrants from China, the immigration of people from Asian countries in addition to China was banned by the sweeping Immigration Act of 1917, also known as the Asiatic Barred Zone Act, which also banned homosexuals, people with intellectual disability, and people with an anarchist worldview. The Emergency Quota Act was enacted in 1921, followed by the Immigration Act of 1924. The 1924 Act was aimed at further restricting immigrants from Southern and Eastern Europe, particularly Jews, Italians, and Slavs, who had begun to enter the country in large numbers beginning in the 1890s, and consolidated the prohibition of Asian immigration. Immigration patterns of the 1930s were affected by the Great Depression. In the final prosperous year, 1929, there were 279,678 immigrants recorded, but in 1933, only 23,068 moved to the U.S. In the early 1930s, more people emigrated from the United States than to it, Finally there was the U.S. government sponsored a Mexican Repatriation program which was intended to encourage people to voluntarily move to Mexico, but thousands were deported against their will. Altogether about 400,000 Mexicans were repatriated half of them US citizens.Most of the Jewish refugees fleeing the Nazis and World War II were barred from coming to the United States. In the post-war era, the Justice Department launched Operation *******, under which 1,075,168 Mexicans were deported in 1954

• Who
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

nothing

the only thing the US did was allow them come - What they did after they arrived was up to them

• Chris
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

Settlement House.

• 7 months ago

You can't blame the hordes of immigrants flooding into the US. Whenever you provide an easy path, give away free food, housing, schooling, medical care, and drivers licenses, the hordes of people will follow. The blame goes on the US Government for being so irresponsible with taxpayer's money and unwilling to bring some sanity back into immigration law. I agree with Dr. Savage "Liberalism is a mental disorder". The proof is in the results we see daily on TV news.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Let's not forget that the US is a HUGE country which even today still has millions of acres of uninhabited land.

• blu
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

America began w/ a reputation as land of opportunity.

There were no immigration laws until 1882.

The Stature of Liberty was dedicated in 1886. Upon it is inscribed:

Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

• blu
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

TY ... I'm educated. You must be too. I could have added much more but for the uncertainty if the author is listening/predisposed.

• 7 months ago

Nothing. The US tries to make it sound like everyone's American and to a certain extent that's true but in reality the US is full of segregated communities that don't really mix at all.

• 7 months ago

The meat packing industry grew with the construction of the railroads and methods of refrigeration for meat preservation. Railroads made possible the transport of stock to central points for processing, and the transport of products. In the early part of the 19th century, they used the most recent immigrants and migrants as strikebreakers in labor actions taken by other workers, also usually immigrants or early descendants. The publication of the Upton Sinclair novel The Jungle in the U.S. in 1906, shocked the public with the poor working conditions and unsanitary practices in meat packing plants in the United States, specifically Chicago.

• Norman
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

They made them work for a living.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.