promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 year ago

Is studying music business worth it?

(I want to either become an artist/band/tour manager, concert promoter, sound/lighting technician, or a stagehand/roadie/personal assistant)

I looked on the Facebook page for a local school that is offering this music business program, but so far all I see on people's pages is that they're their own boss, working as a musician, or doing something completely unrelated.

I keep on hoping that I'll be the lucky one, but I don't know... Thoughts?

Update:

*I saw this information on the profiles of this program's graduates

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

You could try to do an internship or apprenticeship work just to see feel out the nature of these jobs to see which one is really right for you. Meanwhile, you can ask questions to those who are already in the industry. Working around other people, you may even find something you didn't consider. I think before wasting a bunch of money on something you are not sure that you will really like in the long run, you should try to find some entry level stuff to get involved with. I went on Craigslist years ago, and got jobs as a set production assistant.... granted it paid nothing... but I learned a lot.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • blank
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Go for it. Music is a great business to get In to. Everyone is different so what works for them may not work for you. And the other way around.

• Tony B
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

First you need to decide which of these things you want to do and think what abilities and/or qualification you need to do them. There's not really any similarity, for example, between being an artist, a lighting technician, a tour manager, a personal assistant and a stagehand.

• 1 year ago

It can be, but most people who do it don't get rich. Most don't even get paid very well, in fact.

Roadies and security bulls are just dumb muscle, and dumb muscle is a dime a dozen. Light techs, sound techs and instrument techs make enough to pay the rent. Chief technicians, who are usually certified tradespeople, can make a dammed decent living.

Managers, producers and promoters rarely make any money at all. The number of managers making the big bucks are fewer than the performers who make the big bucks.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

I actually study music and I have to admit... It's a lot of work. And it's not a gaurenteed career. I also studied language so I have that to fall back on. Many musicians didn't even study music and can't even read music. They're mostly self taught. Is it worth it? I don't think so. But it's nice to have that behind your name. Just be sure to have something to fall back on.

• No

I hire a lot of seasonal workers, we pay them crap and many of them are musicians or in the music business. The one guy is 36 has a university graduate degree in "the music business" and has never worked in his alleged field as anything more than a side hustle while trying to get his own music going. He spends much of the year trying to convince young artists they need to pay him to promote them. Most of the crap he learned was basically an undergrad communications degree, but less useful.

You'd be better off getting a technical degree like electrician than you would taking a Smoke-up-your-*** course which promises you a career in music, because promoters need actual electricians.

You'd better of just getting a marketing degree or serving an electrician's apprenticeship.

You could do all the same things and still get a regular job to finance whatever dream you're working on.

Well or get a good supplier, because every band needs a roadie who can find drugs in every major US market.

• Staap It
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

Long ago my girlfriend hit the lottery for a Million. She used that to begin a Promotion Company. Had 3 venues she booked in Cleveland Ohio. (The 3 big ones of course) wonder if this guy has that kind of resources. IF not dust in the wind ........

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.