What was this (I think water moccasin) doing?

I live in Southern Louisiana and a few weeks ago, it was very warm outside. I live right in front of a pond that has fish, turtles, and snakes in it. When I was walking by the pond a few weeks ago, I saw a snake, looked pretty big but didn't have a good look at it. It seemed to be greyish-brownish-blackish... show more I live in Southern Louisiana and a few weeks ago, it was very warm outside. I live right in front of a pond that has fish, turtles, and snakes in it. When I was walking by the pond a few weeks ago, I saw a snake, looked pretty big but didn't have a good look at it. It seemed to be greyish-brownish-blackish (like the color of a water moccasin), even though it was the color of a water moccasin, I couldn't tell for sure. However, I am highly confident that this was a water moccasin. My question is, it was right by the shore of the pond. When I walked by I could see it slithering back into the water. However it didn't go far. Just about a foot or two away from the shore, it stuck its tail up out of the water, and only its tail. It slowly "wagged" or "flickered" it side to side and did it for about 30 seconds. After that it stuck its head from out of the water and was looking at me. I didn't want to find out what would happen next so I bolted. Any idea what this snake was doing?
2 answers 2