Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 7 months ago

Drinking expired milk?

It expired 4 days ago but it smells fine. I drank it and it was a little sweet but I'm pretty sure that when milk is gone bad, it tastes sour. Is it okay that I drank it?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yeah, you're fine. As you say, you will know if it's off. Manufacturers are very zealous with their use-by dates, most food last much longer. I've accidentally drank off milk before and, disgustingly, swallowed a bit. An upset stomach for 20 mins and everything was fine. No fret :)

The bacteria in the milk aren't pathogens, they don't want to infect a host, they just want to feed off the sugar in the milk, so they don't 'infect' you, but their presence in your body isn't pleasant.

• F
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

If it's been kept in the fridge, it will be OK way past the sell by date, if kept in a warm room, it will be off, way before then.

• 7 months ago

I would not, but I’m very fussy about food.

“When in doubt, throw it out” is my motto.

Having had vicious food poisoning a couple of times in my life, once was sick for three days, I don’t take chances of any sort with old food.

• 7 months ago

yes

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

It might be ok, but as soon as start to feel ill you must call a doctor.

• Zapata
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

It's fine, don't worry. If it isn't, you'd know by now.

• geezer
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

You'll know from the taste if milk has gone off .. and anyway what do you think sour cream and yoghurt are ?

• 7 months ago

No worries if it wasn't lumpy.

• 7 months ago

You should be fine. The smell test and checking for lumpy bits is a good indication as to whether milk is okay or not.

• Nāga
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

You'll be fine, when milk is bad your nose knows it way before your tastebuds do.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.