What has been your experience in Alaska?

So I want to move to Alaska in the future a few years from now when I will be able to afford it. To those of you who have actually moved there, what has it been like so far? I know about the weather and a bit of the animals, but how about the people, the history, the culture, and the food? I'm thinking of starting off in anchorage first for a few years and eventually want to have my own land and a cabin on it. About 30 acres or so.

• Daniel
    Favorite Answer

I enjoy it here. I spent 5 years up here in the military and then decided to come back when I retired.

Anchorage is a pretty common city for its size, except for the fact that moose and bears are roaming around (I almost ran over a black bear on the Glenn Hwy this morning). Like any city, it has its crime and homeless problems. Alcohol abuse is above average in Alaska.

Other than the fact that restaurants have a lot of Alaskan seafood on the menu, and you can hunt/fish for your own food, the food is about the same as in the rest of the US. No one eats Native Alaskan food except for the Natives.

The culture is about the same as in the rest of the country, other than the fact that we have a higher percentage of Native Americans than most states.

You are going to have to save up for that 30 acres. Most of the land in the state is owned by some level of government or a Native Corporation. Since there aren't a lot of roads, there aren't a lot of road accessible lots.

I would recommend coming up here for a visit first. Rent a car and drive around.

Never been there.

but how about the people, the history, the culture, and the food?

The people are all Americans, so I didn't see anything different in them, than those here in the lower 48 (states). But of course there is the Russian ownership in the past.

Isolated, edge of the known world feel to it. I was in Anchorage, & rarely would I see more than 2 or 3 people on the street.

• Daniel

I saw a lot more than 2 or 3 people on the streets last night in Anchorage.

You can see Russia from Alaska.