joe asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 6 months ago

Why do my night crawlers keep dying?

I hunt night crawlers in my back yard for bait but every time I harvest them, they all die off on me. Why does this keep happening to me? I use my hands to gather and store them in an old Coleman plastic lunchbox. I melted a few drain holes, make sure i provide fresh moist dirt and a hefty supply of organic materials I see that other worms dragged into their burrow so I know what they are eating, and a couple days later here comes the reaper. Why is this? What's the secret?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • John
    Lv 4
    6 months ago
    Best Answer

You need to do better than that. That lunch box works for a couple hours fishing.

You need to study the common ant farm.

Worms are extremely delicate creasures that die off they don't 'just' live because 'you' want them too.

And how long have you been collecting them? They know your a killer so they'll die off just to defeat you.

For all you know the fish could be bribing them to die off just so you can't fish.

Your simply going to have to do better by your night crawlers you want them working for you.

What you want to do is convince night crawlers they want to be fish bait then keep those alive and keep them breeding to produce your fishing bait.

Then you'll have nightcrawler to fish with.

• Edwena
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Probably the temperature. You lunchbox is at 90 degrees and the worms want 65. It's like trying to grow something in a pot. The roots get too hot in a pot from the ambient temperature.

• 6 months ago

Night crawlers last about two days in any container unless refrigerated.

• Dale-E
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I suspect they are getting too hot, too wet, too crowded, or you are giving them a chlorinated spray.

Their dirt needs to be damp, but not wet. Keep them in vegetable drawer of your fridge.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Try using only the dirt they come from and leave out the organic stuff …..last years compose would work well....

• 6 months ago

are you putting them in the refrigerator after you catch them? they prefer the soil to be cold

• Carson
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

It may be too small. We kept ours in an olde Coleman Ice Chest, I think 20qt., left it in the shade and kept dirt moist . They'd last all season. I don't remember air holes.

Do you use electricity to harvest?

We'd run a drop cord with a wood handled metal pole a cold roll steel dowel about 3 feet long on each wire. Secure the wire with a hose clamp to the dowel. wrap a piece of tape around it the wire and clamp.

Push them in the ground 12-18 in about 5 feet apart and plug them in. The worms come to the surface in a few minutes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.