What are the best fantasy books with dragons and these dragons aren t treated as some sort of villain?

I don t read much, but i have an impression that there s some kind of anti-dragon bias. Among fans, part of this bias come from the comparison between dragons and nukes and mass destruction weapons. I have no idea if book writers think that way. The problem is that dragons are cool, they breath fire, they fly, you... show more I don t read much, but i have an impression that there s some kind of anti-dragon bias.

Among fans, part of this bias come from the comparison between dragons and nukes and mass destruction weapons.
I have no idea if book writers think that way.
The problem is that dragons are cool, they breath fire, they fly, you can ride them or not.
A nuke just explodes so its not something really cool at all.

Game of thrones showed dragons in a different perspective.
It was cool to see Daenerys treating them as her children. The loves them.
So in game of thrones the fate of dragons is uncertain.

Also i think part of this anti dragon bias comes from the bible.

I have preference in short book series. It takes too much time for example to read aSoIaF , im not a fast reader, it took me 1.5 month to read a game of thrones.

I sometimes compare the extinction of dragons in a story to the extinction of mammoths. It s a sad thing for future generations, when you know certain creatures existed before, but you will never get to see them in your life, never.

But i accept any suggestion, suggestions are always welcome.
I appreciate your time spend giving me answers, thank you!
Update: Its hard to choose the best answer, you guys gave good suggestions, i will eventually choose the best answer, but first i need to take a look at these books