Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 7 months ago

Ideas for unclogging lawn mower fuel system?

At first it only sputtered with starting fluid. Then ran briefly on starting fluid. Third, started with residual starting fluid and ran for about a minute, not smoothly.

I drained the dirty fuel out and replaced it with fresh gas, I also cleaned the carb float bowl. Does this sound like an engine that is going to clean itself out?

Thanks for all good answers. I did get the mower running and even did some light mowing. It is still rough. But I have my B12 chemtool ( poor man's Seafoam) a-working for me over night. By the time I finish that tank it should be good. However, I do like the ideas about cleaning the lines. and/or filter. My biggest problem is the ID sticker was removed, so I cannot look anything up until I find that out.

• Edwena
    Favorite Answer

Try some seafoam if you can get it running.

Yes, remove the gas tank and clean it out. Remove all fuel lines and blow them out. Remove the carburetor, soak it in cleaning fluid and blow it out. Replace the spark plug. Put fresh gasoline in the tank. Pull the cord, it should go. I usually start by using a garden hose and knocking all the dirt off the engine when cold. Check youtube for your make and model to get ideas.

you also need to clean fuel and air filters.

it may or may not run after that ... older mowers may have low compression issue due to wear on the rings and valves

You should also clean or replace any fuel filter and clean the carb thoroughly, including the jet(s). Have a look at the plug too.

The three essentials are:

Fuel of the right quality and quantity

Healthy spark

Air

if you are draining fluid and replacing it shouldn't u change a filter and a gasket as well? did u?

• Lv 7

Don't know yet if there is a filter.

You need to clean the carb properly with carb cleaning fluid and unblock the jet with a bristle or soft copper fuse wire..