Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 7 months ago

can u be refused service if you don't tip. does that make it morally right?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

i wouldnt think so

• 7 months ago

You bought and paid for the service. A tip is a gratitude for their extra attention. Rude and slow people get nothing.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

I'm in the UK and here, we only tip if we've had extra good service. Our restaurant workers get paid a decent, living wage so it's not necessary.

That should be the case world-wide. Tipping is demeaning, humiliating and feels like charity and pity.

• 7 months ago

I highly doubt it. However, if the service was fine and you enjoyed the food, you should leave something.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

I've never had that happen so I couldn't tell you about that but what I can tell you is that some of these waiters and waitresses are working for tips only! They wait on your table of 10 and buster bought for you and then you all laugh about not leaving these people a tip that's wage-theft friend. And the next time that you go to that restaurant. I wouldn't blame the waiter or the waitress one little bit for mixing a little bit of cat vomit in your mashed potatoes! Think about that next time you decide to misbehave at the table

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

I live in Las Vegas, a city where tipping is part of the culture. A system based on tipping is superior when administered properly. When they say paying staff properly (higher), that of course just means the tip is built into the price of items. That means more management staff is needed to supervise workers. It also means in service jobs employees do not earn more for good service. You tip based on service level and get superior service.

Now, they do not know you will stiff the workers so you are not refused service. However, if you visit that establishment again, they do remember who stiffs them and you can get issues such as a waiter ignoring you completely. It also reflects on people of similar background such as the wives of Chinese business people are known to tip badly and demand a lot, so they get ignored and frustrated.

When part of a system, you tip. Otherwise, the tipping will be built into the price and it is forced upon you.

• 7 months ago

Tipping is required in third world countries as it is the only way workers get paid. It should not be necessary in any civilised country and it is definitely a thing of the past in most. If workers are paid inadequately, that is something they need to sort out with their employers with the help of their Union. It should not need to be up to the customers to make up any shortfall.

The cost of staff should be included in the price of any service so that tipping is not expected. You don't tip in most of Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and many other countries because their workers are paid properly. If everyone stopped tipping in the USA, not only would it remove the master/slave relationship, it would force employers to pay their staff a decent wage and give the workers greater self respect. Stop tipping.

• 7 months ago

No you can't, and no it doesn't.

• Marduk
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

You've already eaten, so how can you be refused service retroactively? Do they demand you vomit it up?

• Yes

Eat take out like an animal in the parking lot.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.