What to do to fix Whirlpool dryer that won't tumble correctly?

Recently, my whirlpool dryer went out of commission due to a bad drive belt. I have since replaced the belt, as well as the support rollers, but the dryer barrel is still not turning correctly. It will turn for a little while on its own, and then will stop. If I add clothes to the barrel, it will turn for less time, and then stop. The belt tensioner would be my next step in the repair process, but I really am not sure. I'm trying as much as possible to fix this machine myself without having to call a repair person, but I'm running out of ideas. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, as my wife and I are running out of clean clothes lol. Thanks in advance!

• John

Use a clothes line and let them air dry under the sun.

• Mr. P

Well your first place to look is in your brain and use logic. What has happened that cause it to fail?

Often there is a chain of events and the first item to break is not always the reason for it failing. Such as a blown fuse. You replace the fuse and it blows again. Although you replaced the failed item the root cause is still there. You need to find this in all cases.

#1 - things are manufactured to fail - so you have to buy a new one.

#2 - Anything that moves has a finite life before it wears out.

#3 - anything that gets hot can affect the life of other components.

So your belt failed and you have replaced that because it wore out, but now you find that there is resistance to the drum turning ....which is why the belt failed in the first place.

Either the support rollers wore out or the main drum bearing is also worn out.

I suggest you take the belt off and try and spin the drum by hand. If it is difficult to move, then see if it will lift or move and if any position is any easier to turn. Adjust rollers or replace parts as needed.

rnaybe you should hire sorneone to fix it