Dairy's Scary asked in HealthDental · 7 months ago

Is fluoridating water really a good method of preventing teeth decay?

Favorite Answer

It is becoming increasingly questionable. But if you want to flush your teeth with fluoride, there are products that allow you to do that without actually drinking it day in.. and day out.

Adding calcium/vitamin C powder would be better.

• Jim2

Moving your question to dental. If you prefer it in politics I won't move it back, but I thought you'd get better answers in dental. Sometimes Yahoo itself puts questions in the wrong category. Anyway, my answer is, yes, that's what I hear.

• Lili

Tooth decay in the United States decreased hugely after fluoridation efforts began. The average number of decayed teeth among 12-year-olds fell 68% between 1966 and 1994.

• All science says yes.

• Zirp

NO. the place where the fluoride does something good is on the surface of your teeth. It does no good in your intestines, and does bad things in your bloodstream.

This is the consensus in europe, and the reason no european country adds fluoride to tap water

• Tavy

We have had fluoride in our water in the Uk for over 50 years.

• Sergio

It helps but I prefer it in toothpaste

• Mark

Supposedly, but too much will turn your teeth permanently blue.