Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 7 months ago

Would you date a 21 year old guy that's on disability for mental illness?

Favorite Answer

Please Read this-----

You shouldn't 'not' date someone just because they have a mental illness & receive benefits for them, this is because the government have decided that they are more well while not working & assume a duty of care, A mental illness is a physical disability of the brain causing it to function wrongly, just like a physical disability of the body, it is most often brain damage related, brain nerve damage, neuron and cell damage, brain pathway problems, synapse malfunction or other, please let this open your eyes because the brain is actually a mechanical organism, it is not magical or digital in any way, just imagine a tv which requires 45 small wires to operate and 17 of them get crossed or damaged, what you are left with is damaged and distorted pucture, in this case reality. Please don't judge someone based on a mental disability

Source(s): 11 months experience in a psychiatric ward
    • Kim7 months agoReport

Wow such a great comment. Nice to have an educated comment. Some other people can be very ignorant.

Well at least the guy is being honest. My ex was in denial saying he not mentally ill and denies being on any benefit. He was a liar. It's a shame he wasn't honest coz that would have been better. Rather than lying.

Maybe but if he starts abusing me mentally or physically, that’s no excuse.

Never put up with that.

• Stacie Smith

True but I’ve known some mentally ill people who were abusive mentally and physically. They were on no medication.

Absolutely.

I’ve had women date me and that is my status, and most of the ones have tried to take advantage of me. Some of them were married, some of them tried to extort/take money from me because they felt like I didn’t deserve the money I was getting since i ‘don’t work for it’. My ex-wife took my son’s Social Security benefits that he was geting as my dependent, stole $40,000 of it While he was living with me because she was the representative payee after the divorce. That’s a felony. She was supposed to put it in the bank for him and she spent it all. Now he’ll never have that money. That’s why I stay away from women as somebody on Social Security disability. Because too many are opportunistic predators. And when I complained to Social Security and my ex-wife basically just said I was making it up. Which was easy for her to do it because she could just claim I was crazy since I was on Social Security disability for that reason. Perfect planning on her part. What a horrible b*itch

• Kim7 months agoReport

Yikes. That's terrible. My ex was mentally ill but claimed to not me. I didn't trust him. I'm mentally ill 2. I think if I didn't leave the relationship, he could have taken advantage of me. So lucky I got out in time. Every1 around me warned me.

No- I'm not like that.

Only if I were too.

No. If they get their life together reconsider but those people take you on roller coaster rides and typically need a lot of financial support. If you marry them they ruin your credit.

• Kim7 months agoReport

For some it can be but not all. Some can live very simple lives.

• k w

tuff decision, too many factors involved, you'll have to decide on your own.......

I doubt it