Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 7 months ago

Is it bad to go en pointe if not had much ballet training?

I started ballet classes a few years ago, then quit for a year or so and started again recently. I got ahead of my self and bought a pair of pointe shoes off eBay and I have been using them just at home for the last 2 weeks. Of course when I first used them it was painful but with some practice it is not bad at all now and I’m more comfortable dancing in them (I do about 10 mins a day so not much) I am 13 years old which I’ve heard is old enough to go en pointe but I’m worried with my lack of experience I may damage my feet. Should I stop before it creates any damage or will I be okay? I’m doing grade 4 classes and my teacher doesn’t know I’m en pointe at home.

Favorite Answer

It is very bad.. but not only that you are using pointe shoes when not strong or experienced enough, but even worse that you bought a pair of shoes off of ebay !!!!

Big dance shops have permanently based pointe shoe fitters and with small town shops you often have to make a specific appointment for their pointe shoe fitter and you can be in the shop an hour or more finding the right shoes.

If these shoes are ill fitting which is highly likely you are going to do severe damage to toe joints and what you are doing is quite frankly ridiculous.

Being 13 and grade 4 is not necessarily 'old enough' to be on pointe, It depends on your strength, your stance and more importantly, your growth as all teens vary.

I suggest you stop and speak to your teacher about this

You should let the instructor decide if you are ready to do en pointe.