Native English speakers, could you please help me with these issues?

Is this sentence correct:

"I like to read books with good storilines, which elicit emotions in me, and if possible, that teach me something, whether in knowledge or even just in wisdom."

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Speed
    Lv 7
    7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I like to read books with good storilines [storylines, spelling, but the word “plots” works better], which [change to “that”] elicit emotions in me [delete “in me,” since it’s understood], and if possible [delete "if possible"], that [delete “that”] teach me something, whether in knowledge or even just in wisdom [final phrase is awkward. Consider “whether specific knowledge or general wisdom” or something similar].

If you were to accept all the recommendations, it would read

I like to read books with good plots that elicit emotions and teach me something, whether specific knowledge or general wisdom.

• John P
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

"...storylines (note spelling) which give rise to emotions, and which, if possible, teach me something, either specific knowledge or simply wisdom." Note position of "if possible".

• 7 months ago

I like to read books that arouse my emotions and that teach me something.

• 7 months ago

I'd suggest you just drop the last phrase and end with "....that teach me something." Adding "whether in knowledge or even just in wisdom" is unnecessary and superfluous. There really is no difference between knowledge and wisdom. Knowledge is necessary to acquire wisdom and writing "just in wisdom" implies that wisdom is inferior to knowledge, which is illogical.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

I like to read books with interesting storylines which elicit the emotions and instill knowledge and wisdom.

• Marc
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

NO! Run-on sentence. If I have time i will correct. Later.

K, I'm out. You got good answers. I can't improve perfection. Thanks, crew!

• Norman
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Storylines. Lose the word "that" before teach.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.