Will my cell phone MAC adress be traceable to who I am like my name and information or only the manufacturer and device used ?

Long story short I recently logged onto my buildings guest wifi. I did not have to enter any information like my name etc... I just had to agree and sign in to use the wifi but my question is if I looked up a bad site would they be able to track me by my mac adress I have researched and saw differing opinions some say no some say yes... the site I went to was blocked but I'm wondering if they could trace my phone by mac adress and if they can will the network administrator or IT guy be able to see my name and cell phone number or will he just be able to see it was a cell phone manufactured by said company...?? Thansk in advance

• Lv 7
    Favorite Answer

mac address is just how the system differentiates your device from other users. it holds no personal info. IP address is like a phone number for your PC, and is easier to track, but again, holds no personal info.

also, people offering free WiFi really can't FORCE you to not view something.

it is POSSIBLE to track someone down from information gathered, but it is EXTREMELY hard to do. so much so that most people don't want to put money into doing it, much less tracking what every single user visits. so instead they use "agreement" pages, and let peoples' fear and guilt keep them from visiting such sites, since they don't have the wherewithall to do anything more.

Everything that passes through their server, they have a way to review. It would take a lot of time and effort. Unless you caused them to suspect you need checking, rest easy.

MAC numbers identify the device only. But that can, of course, eventually be tracked to a particular cell account.

If there was a court order I am sure that phone company records will be able to cross reference your MAC and IMEI numbers and they will have you. But it will take a court order. There is always the chance that the cell phone company has misplaced the data if it was a while ago.

• jason9 months agoReport

Thank you for your quick response so basically the network administrator or it guy would need a court order to see who I was first. He couldn't just trace it to me by himself and find out my name and information

would take a Court Order from a Judge to trace it thru your phone companies records ..............