Tee shirt companies ripping off fan art, what can an artist do legally?

Fan art is completely legal, as long as you aren't trying to sell it...I think. Though, I see fan art sell all the time and if it's the artist's own original work, I personally think it's fine to look the other way in most cases... But, as of late I've seen many online tee shirt companies... show more Fan art is completely legal, as long as you aren't trying to sell it...I think. Though, I see fan art sell all the time and if it's the artist's own original work, I personally think it's fine to look the other way in most cases...

But, as of late I've seen many online tee shirt companies stealing fan art and selling it on mugs, tees... and I don't think that's right. An artist put a lot of time into these drawings and to have them ripped off like this and sold without them getting a dime just seems wrong to me.

Is there anything they can do?
Update: Yes, because I've contacted the actual artists numerous times. It was taken without permission.