Can you negotiate a price at Carmax?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

You can try but I doubt you'll have any success unless they just happen to be lowering the price anyway. In my past dealings with Carmax, I've always felt the price was fair considering the professional staff, the free Carfax report, the detailed documented inspection, the warranty, and the 7-day return policy -- things you don't get at other dealers where you *might* get the car a little cheaper.

Point is, they sell tons of cars at the set price every day. They have no reason to negotiate with someone for a lower price when the next person through the door is more than willing to pay the set price.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Stacie
    Lv 4
    1 year ago

Yes and No.

I say yes and no because they will usually tell you "the price you se is what you pay" or "that's a no haggle price" and are pretty resillant on adjusting their price. So much so that I had one guy actually throw a hissy fit when I asked him to drop the price a bit. However I have had them lower the price out the door before by paying cash. Don't expect much though because Carmax is large and actually go through their lots pretty quick at the price they are asking, and they will just DX cars that don't sell at the profit margin they want. Sometimes its easier to negotiate the warranty or coverages, or an add on then it is the base price.

Good luck, it never hurts to ask anyways.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

You can TRY.

• Never
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Car Max doesn't negotiate price. However, depending on the lack of interest a specific vehicle gets, the price will drop in regular intervals before being sold to a customer or back to auction. You may be able to get floor mats thrown in or something but do NOT expect discounting off their listed prices. Except if its a unit they have had in stock that will be marked down in a few days. But not 99% of their inventory.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

Yes, I do for the most of the time.

• Never
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

You've never bought a car at carmax.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.