What is the fundamental difference between good and evil?

Does evil always have mal-intent or is it just a self interest without regard for others? Are evil forces actively aware(but indifferent) or simple unconscious (and shallow) motions? I don't believe with logical case analysis we could easily mistake good for bad, however I do believe that through cognitive... show more Does evil always have mal-intent or is it just a self interest without regard for others?

Are evil forces actively aware(but indifferent) or simple unconscious (and shallow) motions?

I don't believe with logical case analysis we could easily mistake good for bad, however I do believe that through cognitive conditioning we can come to a state (unthinkingly) where we mistake bad for good.

Philosophy, moral reasoning and personal moral responsibility are the correct response to apathy and incorrect cognitive conditioning.

However, what key factor actively defines evil? (elaborating further) is it a choice? Is it having the ability to understand the rights, freedoms and feelings of others but choosing to act regardless of such factors? Or is it a raw unconscious thing that has no awareness or therefore regard for others? Would the pursuit of knowledge ultimately make us more moral? Does unthinking moral laziness/apathy cause or allow evil to happen?