Do HDMI splitters work?

So I bought a HP mixed reality VR headset yesterday to use with my Dell Inspiron gaming desktop, and my PC only has 1 HDMI port that’s alreaey being used for my monitor, and the headset has a USB 3.0 that has both a USB input and a HDMI input. So I went to the electronics store today (I live in a small town that... show more So I bought a HP mixed reality VR headset yesterday to use with my Dell Inspiron gaming desktop, and my PC only has 1 HDMI port that’s alreaey being used for my monitor, and the headset has a USB 3.0 that has both a USB input and a HDMI input. So I went to the electronics store today (I live in a small town that only has 1 small electronics store, I bought the headset in another city about 2 hours away) and they only had HDMI splitters that let you use only 1 input at a time.

They told me that even if I did find a HDMI splitter, it wouldn’t work because computers can’t use more than 1 HDMI input at a time? It didn’t make sense to me, since people have 2 monitors and my friend’s PC has 4 HDMI ports. I’m just very confused and I just want to know that if I did go out and buy a splitter that allows me to plug in both the HDMI cord for my monitor and the HDMI cord for my VR headset, will I be able to use it?