Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Dining OutFast Food · 6 months ago

What job skills are millennials lack?

Millennials lack job skills according to the older generation. I’m 25 and am looking to move out soon. My only skills are basic retail jobs, and administrative assistant work at a law office. I want to potentially do different work, but don’t have too many skills other than what I have experience in. I’m not sure what I want to do with my life. I have no degree, and hope to get one one day.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • olivia
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

Hard working attitude. Hard working attitude is a quality that is inborn and frequently ingrained at a youthful age. ...

Relational abilities. ...

Relational abilities. ...

Time the board. ...

Critical thinking. ...

Versatility. ...

Quietude.

• 6 months ago

communication.

Granted I'm technically a millennial (the very far end age wise) and recently returned to school for fun and I am completely bamboozled by their inability to communicate. Notice I say "inability". It's not just a lack of desire, though that is another issue, they seem genuinely stunted. I can't say I haven't been guilty of such traits in the past, I used to rely heavily on my phone and social media but have gotten rid of the latter completely and only use my phone for emergencies.

I'm in a criminal justice program and it's scary to know my peers are the ones entering this career path to be law enforcement officers (I'm aged out and too fat and sick anyway to consider that route) and have come across research confirming my opinions that states people entering law enforcement these days are at a deficit due to their inability to properly communicate face to face. They don't know how to deescalate conflict and many situations that aren't a major problem often turn to case where force is used to control the suspect.

• 6 months ago

Pretty much everything, the older generation didn't prepare us at all.

• Kate
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Think about things like soft skills - teamwork (show evidence), problem solving, lateral thinking, communication, willingness to step in and help, customer service etc. On your resume always list an example of how you have demonstrated these in prevous roles

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

It is not job skills that they lack. It's a good work ethic. Many of them feel that they are entitled, when they are not. There is no entitlement to anything. You have to prove yourself in a job to get to where you want to go. Secondly, many of them have a bad attitude. An employee works for the employer, not the other way around. You work the hours that the employer wants you to work and you don't steal company time - personal time should be during lunch or "after" work, be on time, don't leave early, work your butt off to the best of your ability, don't expect a vacation until you have worked for a full year (annually), don't take time off except for bereavement, and do it all with a smile.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You hope to get a degree? When are you planning to do it?

• .6 months agoReport

It’s kinda tough for me because I’m 25 and have to work full time. I only have 30 credits.

• 6 months ago

Communication skills mostly.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Millennials are emotionally weak. They can't deal with anything remotely unpleasant. Look at them sideways and they are crying about being bullied or feeling unsafe or having anxiety.

• 6 months ago

I can never find a millenial that can pay attention to anything for more than 5 seconds. If you can listen, you have a skill that 90% of millenials don't have.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

face-to-face communication ........................

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.