Why does the tube always decline my chip card even though I have plenty of money in my account?

I’ve lived in London for the last few months and I still have my chip non contactless card and yet sometimes it works on the tube and other times it doesn’t even when I have plenty of money in my bank, is this normal?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You said it yourself. It's a non-contactless card. So of course it doesn't work. Just having a chip in it doesn't make it contactless.

• Zapata
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

You are not the brightest bulb in the box, are you?

• 7 months ago

You need a new card.

• 7 months ago

You can buy a tube card, called an oyster, that is a tap activated card. You can put as much or as little as you plan on using. You can return it before leaving or give it to someone is it has only a little money left. Remember, it is called an OYSTER.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Your question say 'always' but your more detailed explanation says 'sometimes'.

The right answer will depend on which you actually mean. If your card is ALWAYS declined, then it's not capable of being used that way. If it's SOMETIMES declined, then there's a fault in the card and you should ask your bank to fix it.

• 7 months ago

You need a contactless payment card (or oyster card) to travel on the underground

As you don't have a contactless payment card, it's unlikely your payment method will work

• 7 months ago

The chip is probably worn or damaged. Your bank should replace your card

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

non contactless card

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.