Jessica asked in TravelSpainOther - Spain · 6 months ago

What kind of adapter/converter do I need for Spain if I'm from California/US? I have an iphone xs max do i need an adapter & converter?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

You will need an adapter for the different plug. Some adapters are just changing the type of plug you are plugging into. Phones have dual power so you won't have an issue with the adapter, but if you use anything else(ie. Hair Dryer, Shaver, etc.) make sure the item is dual power, If not you will need a converter. My daughter lives in Spain and has to use an adapter for her US plug items. Anything that does not have dual power she purchased the item with Euro plug, or has to pull out her big power transformer.

You can purchase adapters on Amazon for cheap.

• John P
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

Indeed do check that any device you have is "universal voltage" - from 110 volts to 230 volts. Most phone chargers are dual voltage, but, indeed, most big current devices such as hair dryers are not. A 110 single voltage device might explode if plugged in to 230 volts - I have seen it happen.

• John P
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You need the suitable converter plug, which you could buy very cheaply in Spain. But far more important it to note that Spain works on 220 volts, double the 110 volts in the USA.

Many electronic devices these days are dual voltage - 110/230 volts - so check the charger for your iPhone to see if it indeed states "110/230 volts".

Note that such dual voltage generally applies only to low-powered electronic devices. Anything with a heater such as hair dryer or curlers is almost certainly single voltage (110 volts in the USA), and would burn out, possibly with a loud explosion, if used on 220 volts.

• 6 months ago

First, read the tiny type on the back of your plug in charger. If it works with 230V 50Hz (the voltage will probably be a range, as in 120 - 240 Volts) then you don't need a converter. The power outlets have two 45° angled prongs and sometimes a third vertical prong, so you will for sure need an adapter. Search for "australian electrical plugs" on line to find and buy the correct one.

• John P
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

No, no, no, not Australian plugs for use in Europe!! Australian plugs have flat blades similar to USA plugs, but the blades are set at an angle, not parallel to each other. In almost all of mainland Europe including Spain they use round-pin plugs. In Britain they use square-pin plugs.

• 6 months ago

I don't have a link but you need a Continental adapter, basically it looks like the US one except US is 2 round holes and Spain is 2 flat slots, Google continental adapters

• John P
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Spanish sockets have round holes, as do the plugs in almost all of Europe. Definitely NOT flat slots! I have been in Spain and Germany lately, and in other European countries at times. Thank goodness for standardisation!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Poppy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Being from Cali is besides the point. You will need US to Europe converter.

• Jessica6 months agoReport

do you have a link? I've never traveled before

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.