Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 7 months ago

Do I need a special drivers license to drive a short bus across the country?

I could get a 14 passenger or 18 passenger bus, but I plan on removing all the seats and making it livable (bed, small kitchen, etc.)

15 Answers

Relevance
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

That would be private use, so if your state will license it as private use; you will not need a CDL Federal License to drive it any were!

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

As long as you remove MOST of the seats, you can license the bus as a Recreational Vehicle (RV) and drive it with just a basic drivers license.

• 7 months ago

First, check out the first source to see if it is going to work at all for you, then see the second source for registering it as an RV. If you can get past all the details you can drive your new RV with a normal license.

• 7 months ago

If it's a motorhome, most jurisdictions only require a regular (private passenger) licence.

But before you embark on this trek, check the requirements for where you live and every jurisdiction you'll be driving through. Every jurisdiction (state, province, territory, walled fortress, etc.) has their own traffic laws, and you're required to obey them when driving there.

• harrys7 months agoReport

In the USA if you're non-commercial and are legal in your domicile state you're legal in all 50 (57 for Obamaites) states and the territories.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Any vehicle that has the capacity to hold more than 15 passengers (including the driver) requires a CDL with a passenger endorsement . If you remove the seats, as long as the GVWR is under 26,001lbs then you do not need more than a normal license.

Source(s): 39 years in the auto business
  • Poppy
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Unless driving for hire no special license is required.

• 7 months ago

A CDL (commercial driver's license) is required if you carry passengers for hire or drive other commercial vehicles as a job or for pay.

• 7 months ago

As long as the vehicle does not have air brakes, you are OK.

• harrys7 months agoReport

If it isn't commercial it doesn't matter if it has air brakes. At least in the states where I have been. It's the number of seating positions (<16) and weight specification (<26,001#) that matters.

• 7 months ago

If it is not taking passengers for pay, it is a home made motor home, so only a driver's license is probably all you need.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

You don't need a special license if it's for your own use.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.