Why are some people cruel to others?

In my life I have seen people who were cruel to others. I have seen people who tortured others for long periods of time. In the news we constantly hear of people who are bullied relentlessly sometimes for no reason. My question is why do these people behave this way? What compels them to treat others so badly?... show more In my life I have seen people who were cruel to others. I have seen people who tortured others for long periods of time. In the news we constantly hear of people who are bullied relentlessly sometimes for no reason.

My question is why do these people behave this way? What compels them to treat others so badly? Don’t bother replying unless you can give an Objective Scientific explanation. I am looking for an Objective Scientific explanation for this kind of behavior. Thank you